Campus Starbucks re-opens with new hours

Starbucks employees work together at Harper’s new Starbucks store on Sept. 27, 2021. Photo by Khushi Ghandi.

Harper College opened a new Starbucks store in Building D on Sept. 27 after closing the previous one 16 months ago due to Covid-19. 

The store is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. 

Manager Chris Sweet felt optimistic about the store’s new opening.

“I feel excited about it,”  Sweet said. “All the people here that we’ve hired are fantastic. They’ve all been training and trying to learn as much as they can.”

Freshmen Sarahy Ramirez and Andrea Solache both heard a student say that she has gone to the store every day since it opened. 

“She really enjoys it, so that’s why we also came because we were like, “Oh they’re having the special,’” Ramirez explained. “It was buy one get one 50 percent off, so I feel like that encourages people to come and try out the new Starbucks.”

Students wait in line at Harper’s new Starbucks store on Sept. 27, 2021. Photo by Khushi Gandhi.

Additionally, they both said that it’s a nice place to unwind.

“I feel like it’s nice having something else implanted that you can go to and have a small break from all the schoolwork and stuff,” Solache said. “And you can just come and have coffee with your friends and chill or even study.”

“It’s a really nice addition to the campus,” Ramirez stated. “… you can get your coffee and then sit down and do some homework — or just enjoy the sunlight from the big windows.”

Communication professor Bill Lucio was happy to see Starbucks open as well but has a complaint about its hours.

“After working a busy morning schedule, it would be great to get a cup of coffee later in the day,” Lucio said. “And especially for faculty members who have later afternoon or night classes, closing at 1 p.m. is quite inconvenient.”

Sophomore Mitchell Ryba said he views the store’s opening as an opportunity to get up and running again.

Sophomore Mitchell Ryba studies at a table outside of Harper’s new Starbucks store on Sept. 27, 2021. Photo by Khushi Gandhi.

“I’m really excited,” Ryba said. “It’s just good because it’s kind of an excuse to get back on campus to just try to get work done and study with a little bit of a caffeine boost.”