Harper students react to game preview Of Pokémon Legends Arceus

Jordan+Slonke%2C+22%2C+is+a+senior+Harper+student+who%E2%80%99s+majoring+in+communications+and+business+administration.+Within+the+picture+he+is+being+interviewed+about+Pokemon+Legends+Arcues+outside+of+Mitsuwa+Marketplace+on+Algonquin+Road+in+Arlington+Heights+on+03%2F24%2F2021.+Mitsuwa+is+a+place+where+many+anime+lovers+who+love+anime+such+as+Pokemon+gather+on+a+daily+basis.+Photo+courtesy+of+Jordan+Slonke.+

Jordan Slonke, 22, is a senior Harper student who’s majoring in communications and business administration. Within the picture he is being interviewed about Pokemon Legends Arcues outside of Mitsuwa Marketplace on Algonquin Road in Arlington Heights on 03/24/2021. Mitsuwa is a place where many anime lovers who love anime such as Pokemon gather on a daily basis. Photo courtesy of Jordan Slonke.

Pokémon video games have historically only followed a certain formula within gameplay that follows becoming a trainer, challenging the gym leaders, entering the elite four, and so on.

However, earlier this year, the Pokémon company released on their official YouTube channel a trailer of an upcoming game that could drastically change the formula forever by introducing an implied open-world kind of gameplay: Pokémon Legends Arceus.   

With the release of the trailer, fans from all over the world have shared their multitude of opinions upon viewing the footage and that includes from Harper.

A survey about the trailer was provided to Harper students and the results were mixed yet staggering.

Nearly 88 percent of students were shocked by the trailer, about 69 percent  held excitement for the game’s release, 50 percent will most likely purchase the game, and about 69 percent of students believe that Pokémon is heading in the right direction with creating the game.

Along with completing the survey, many Harper students were excited to share their initial thoughts and varying opinions on the topic, especially 22-year-old student Jordan Slonke, who is currently majoring in communications and business administration.

“When Pokémon Legends Arceus was announced, I knew social media and Pokémon fans were going to be buzzing about it,” Slonke exclaimed. “The thought of an open-world Pokémon game and the pure satisfaction of seeing your character in the trailer actually throw the Poke Ball at a wild Pokémon is indescribable!” 

Slonke also  believes the game is beneficial for the franchise as a whole.

“I think they have a lot of opportunities for expansion within this game. With this era of video games having downloadable content included, I think the Pokémon Company can expand their horizons and give players more content that will keep them involved for years to come,” Slonke added. “This new style of Pokémon games may lead the franchise into a new era and I’m here for it.”

Other students on campus share Slonke’s excitement, such as Gabriel Barontini, a member of Harper’s E-gaming room located in building M.

“To me, seeing a new formula with Pokémon is what I wanted to see most from the Pokémon company,” Barontini remarked. “I love that they’re trying something new and taking a risk with this spinoff!” 

Another Harper student, Zachary Kramp, revealed his satisfaction with the trailer.

“I think that they are heading in a great direction with the franchise. For so long Pokémon has been the same game with different names, get Pokémon, defeat gym leaders, get gym badges, repeat,” Kramp described. “With this game, I think they are really expanding on what a Pokémon game can be.”

Sophomore student, Serena Schnekenburger, said she has been “in love” with Pokemon for ten years, and she is excited to see what the game holds. 

“Overall, with this trailer just as is it gives you such an exciting adventurous kind of vibe that makes you just want to sit down and play this game for a couple of hours because this seems like the only chance you’ll get to actually immerse yourself into the Pokémon world,” Schnekenburger described.

There were other students who weren’t that familiar with Pokémon yet nonetheless still gained a rush of excitement watching the trailer.

Former Harper student Colleen Duffy, who graduated in 2018 with an Associate’s in General Studies, said she’d buy the new game after seeing the trailer. 

“I never really played Pokémon before, but seeing that game trailer made me really want to start playing and it looks really fun. That trailer definitely sparked my interest,” Duffy confirmed. 

While some students possess pure excitement, others desire to wait until the game has more footage to form their own full opinion, like 18-year-old freshman Julian Vega.

“ I will have to see when this game releases. It looks promising to be honest but I fear I’m going to get let down,” Vega explained. “And in terms of buying it, I may buy it to see what it’s all about with the hype and make a final statement about it when that time comes.”

Jennifer Miller, a twenty-five-year-old student, also shared her skepticism on the overall final quality of the game.

“I’m excited, but apprehensive that the explorable terrain won’t be as free as the ‘open world’ concept we had in the game Zelda Breath of the Wild. Like being able to climb and glide anywhere is what made that game so special,” Miller explained. “If that’s not a possibility, then any potential of this game being truly great is gone. Since it appears they’re striving for the same vibe in Zelda with this new installment, there is definitely a certain level of expectation to fulfill there.”

Harper senior student Seamus Mangan disagrees  about the game’s quality and lacks enthusiasm when it comes to the idea of the game’s release. 

“The animations are terrible, the open-world feels lifeless, and I have the feeling that the majority of the game will be a linear ‘point A to point B’ type of thing. The Pokémon company never has side quests, which are essential for any open-world game, and they have been making their games more and more linear,” Mangan insisted.

“These days the Pokémon company rushes their games to meet a self-imposed deadline and delivers substandard products as a result. Instead of buying this game, I shall purchase Digimon Survive when it finally comes out.”

The new Pokemon game is scheduled to officially releases in  2022.