Breaking the ice with Harper’s new president

Dr.+Proctor+sat+down+with+the+Harbinger+for+a+quick+chat.+

Harbinger Staff

Dr. Proctor sat down with the Harbinger for a quick chat.

This fall semester, dozens of signs across campus welcomed Dr. Avis Proctor–Harper’s new president. With Dr. Proctor, comes a new era and milestone for Harper College. She’s the first woman and person of color to ever hold the position on this campus; she’s the first mother to ever occupy the elite corner office in the Wojik Conference Center. And she’s the first president who can sing like Adele and do two, hour-long rounds of Zumba in one day.

She’s got her work cut out for her–like answering The Harbinger’s hard-hitting questions. Here’s what we wanted to know.

Q: What kind of student were you in college?

Dr. P: In college, I was someone who some may call a nerd. I loved studying and was very organized. I had a plan. I mapped out a plan where I could finish my undergrad in three years. I made sure I met and knew my professors. I formed a relationship with them and went to see them if I needed help or had a question.

Q: What advice would you give your younger, college student self?

Dr. P: Don’t leave anything on the table. I had a full undergraduate scholarship for four years and I finished my degree in three. I could have had another degree. Looking back I would pursue another degree–n administration or marketing.”

Q: What advice do you have for students who are interested in having a job similar to yours?

Dr. P: Have a plan. Look at the path of presidency. I took the most traditional path. Start off as faculty member then running the academic department then having some college wide responsibilities over the curriculum. Working with community partners be that regional university partners or the local school district. Then I had the opportunity to run a campus.

Someone who wants to pursue this type of position will need to have these types of experiences and of course they need the academic doctoral program.

Q: How do you feel about being the first female and first person of color to serve as Harper’s president?

Dr. P: Excited. I didn’t realize the full power of those categories. As I talk to people and they send me emails, I’m starting to see what it means to people of perspective, be it female or person of color or a female person of color. I think it’s important to convey that ability to be in this role isn’t tied to gender or color. But it happens to be inspirational to individuals. I am seeing it in ways that are resonating with people.

Q: Did Dr.Ender give you any advice before he left?

Dr. P:  He wrote me a nice note which I still have in my drawer. He gave me some reflections on what he sent out to do when he started as president.”

Q: If you could bring any restaurant or food to Harper’s campus, what would it be? 

Dr. P: Roti. Their flatbread with roasted meat…

Q: If you could have anyone dead or alive speak at Harper College who would it be? 

Dr. P: William Rainey Harper. To hear what he saw as need here in Illinois many years ago. For him to get to see where we are now.

Q: What’s your Starbucks order?

Dr. P: Grande White Chocolate Mocha Latte.

Q: Favorite guilty pleasure?

Dr. P: Milk chocolate-covered almonds.

Q: Do you have a secret talent you’d be willing to share?

Dr. P: I play piano, violin and clarinet. I also sing. I have been playing the piano since I was four.

Q: Favorite TV show? 

Dr. P: Rachel Maddow.

Q: Favorite musician (and who would you bring for a concert at Harper)? 

Dr. P: Adele!

Q: What excites you most about Harper College, coming in as president? 

Dr.P: Great institution and the people are really passionate about the way that we support students.

Q: What should Harper students know about you? 

Dr. P: I believe in a positive mindset. Challenges are there to make us stronger. I didn’t come from a wealthy background. Whatever background they come from, it is your will to pursue your goal. My mother told me to get my education because no one can take that from you. I am an all-in person. I make a commitment and I follow through. Commitments to others and to myself. So if I set a goal, I have to have a plan and I have to work the plan, then revisit the plan to see if I have to change it a little.

Q: What message would you like to give Harper’s students? 

Dr. P: Pursue your dream. Start with the end in mind. The world is an ever-changing place. Have a plan and do your homework about your career plan. Meet with your advisor. Connect with faculty.